Life’s not always extra cheese and pepperoni. If you’ve followed me thus far you probably think I’m an obsessive pizza freak, just eating pizza all day and always seeking more.
You may wonder how did this pizza loving weirdo lose 70 pounds in the last year and a half? I’ll address the elephant in the pictures of me from 2012 right now.
It’s true that I am a little crazed over pizza and do frequently daydream about it, and write about it, and take pictures of it. What I haven’t revealed is that strict routines and daily practices have helped me become a healthier individual and pizza is only a piece of the pie.
Pizza is the prize I win at the end of a good week. Pizza is my reward. I’ll share how I earn it. Hopefully I can offer some helpful takeaways for others as well.
Disclaimer: If my personal routines outside of devouring pizza do not interest you (which I totally get), do not read on.
The strategy I’ve followed has yielded an average of 1-2 pounds lost per week for the last 18 months. I’ve done this while eating massive amounts of pizza on Fridays and cheating most Saturdays too.
Many of the healthy habits I’ve adopted come from what Tim Ferriss recommends in his podcast, blog and books, specifically his book “The Four Hour Body”. My diet when I’m not eating pizza is similar to the Slow Carb diet he offers.
Basically, Monday-Thursday I’m very strict and try to limit my carb consumption to 50-70 grams a day and I don’t eat any white carbs (bread, pasta, rice etc). Sunday is kind of an in-between day where I avoid carbs, but still wanna enjoy the weekend, so I may nibble on some naughty things a little more than I would during the week (like cheese). Friday night-Saturday I pretty much eat whatever I want.
Here is my current Monday-Thursday diet, exercise, supplement and mindfulness regimen:
6:20 am: Wake up and eat breakfast:
- Eat half an apple.
- Take supplements:
- One scoop Athletic Greens: 75 ingredient super-food/supplement cocktail (it’s like the ultimate multi-vitamin, with antioxidants and probiotics).
- Vectomega: DHA/EPA, Phospholipids and Peptides (basically the good stuff you want from an Omega-3 supplement),
- D3 2000 mcg
- B12 Methylcobalamin 1000 mcg (sublingual)
- One scoop Jarrow collagen bone broth dissolved in hot water.
7:05 am: 25 push ups, drink 24 ounces of water.
8:00 am-Noon: Attempt to stand at my desk roughly 50% of the time (while I’m on the phone usually). Drink 48 ounces of water.
12 pm: Lunch:
- 10 baby carrots
- Half grilled chicken breat or 2 slices of deli turkey.
- 7-10 almonds or mixed nuts
- piece of cheese (sometimes two, I have a hard time with cheese portioning).
- Another scoop of Athletic Greens.
1 pm-5pm: Again, attempt to stand at my desk at work 50% of the afternoon. Drink 48 ounces of water.
5:15pm: Snack time; usually another 10 almonds or mixed nuts, couple pieces of beef jerky. Stretch for workout.
5:45-7:10 pm: Exercise:
- Ride exercise bike 30 minutes while reading a book (Two birds, one stone! and more importantly I don’t get bored).
- Walk on treadmill for 20 minutes while listening to music (Ipod on shuffle, it’s eclectic and again saves me from boredom).
- Monday and Wednesday three sets of 20 burpees. Tuesday and Thursday three sets of 50 kettle bell swings followed by 25 pushups. On kettle bell swing days I drink a protein shake afterwards.
7:20 pm: Drink 24 ounces water. Meditate using Headspace app (work-out my mental muscles).
8 pm: Dinner:
- Salad: Spinach, shredded carrots, I’m a sucker for Olive Garden dressing, but it’s probably not good for you.
- Protein: Chicken or steak usually. I give most things some Mexican flare with salsa, onions, cheese, avocado and hot sauce.
- 1/2 cup of Black beans or Pinto beans.
8:30 pm: De-stress and relax with the help of some essential oils: I apply Frankincense, Australian Blue, Acceptance, and Myrrh. Tess got me hooked on these, they are great for chilling out.
9:40 pm: Before bed supplements that knock me out and keep me asleep throughout the night.
- One Tablespoon apple cider vinegar.
- One capsule Nature’s Purest Garlic 6000 Allicin mcg.
- One Tablespoon Naturally Calm Magnesium with Calcium.
- Two Capsules Nature’s Purest “Rest Factors”.
9:50 pm: Turn on Dohm white noise machine, apply Dreamcatcher essential oil for sleep. I sleep like a baby for 8 hours and repeat.
Holy cow that’s boring.
Nothing too fancy here, I’m just eating minimal carbs, no sweets, no starches, working out a lot, and drinking plenty of water. I also keep mentally healthy and energized with good sleep and meditation.
So, that’s how I lost a whole bunch of weight, while still eating pizza and enjoying myself every week. I gotta admit I feel pretty darn good and the pizza is more enjoyable when I don’t regret it afterwards.
What pizza taught me:
Pizza is my prize at the end of the tunnel. It tastes better when I feel I’ve earned it. Now, I deserve some pizza.
- What I’m eating: Tess’s homemade pizza-bake (pepperoni, mozzarella, onion, mushroom, egg, fresh basil, Di Salvos pizza sauce). No carbs, so I can have a piece given I have a pizza withdrawal/breakdown mid-week.
- What I’m reading: “Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance”-Angela Duckworth